Tapping for Under 12s
Adapted from Peta Stapleton’s work and others.
For large trauma’s or high intensities that don’t seem to resolve I recommend working with a qualified practitioner.
Bridges for encouraging your children to try tapping 😊
- I know a way to calm you down quickly
- I know a trick to get you over being mad – like that
- I can see you are really worried, want to try something that will make you less worried?
- You know I have this really great way to stop you being upset. Adults usually use it but sometimes I use it for kids too, I guess you are old enough.
- You don’t have to tell me what is bothering you. I have a way you can get over it and not even tell me what it is. You are totally in control and don’t have to say anything. (and just get them tapping)
- I want to teach you something that you can use anytime YOU want to stop being upset.
5 Steps for Under 12’s for Feeling Calmer Using Tappin
- What is your problem? (You look really upset/hurt/angry, what’s happened?)
I feel sad, no one wanted to play with me after school,
How bad is it out of 10, or with a show of outstretched arms.
(Get them to indicate how bad it is for them, arms open really wide would indicate really big or bad (10) and arms coming closer together as it calms and becomes less important.) – Write it here.
- Say it in a sentence 3 times as you tap on the side of the hand point.
Starting even though (I’m mad/hurt/upset/embarrassed,
I’m a great kid anyway/ I’m OK, and Mum and Dad love me
Even though I feel sad, no one wanted to play
With me after school, I am OK, Mum and Dad
Love me (repeat x 3)
- Tap through the points with both hands saying a short word or two to remind yourself of the problem – write it here.
I feel sad
- Take a breath and guess the number now
out of 10 (use outstretched arms again to take
a measure) – write it here.
- Tap again on all of the points until you feel
Repeat the tapping on all of the points until
Your child feels completely calm.
As your child matures you can develop the language and utilize more of the points
For example; if you child was feeling worried you would tap on the side of the hand point 3 points stating what the problem is and giving an affirmation. Remember to rate the intensity at the beginning and end, keep tapping until your child is calm.
Side of the Hand: Even though I’m worried about…… I’m OK
Top of the Head: I feel worried
Side of the Eye: So worried
Under the Eye: I feel so worried
Under the Nose: I’m really worried
Chin Point: I feel worried
Under the Arm: I feel so worried
Side of the Hand: I feel really worried